Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Miracle #1

This month our Bishop gave our ward the challenge to read the Book of Mormon in 85 days. The past few times there have been Book or Mormon challenges, I've had good intentions, but never did anything about them. This time (same as all the other times) the Bishop promised us miracles in our lives in accomplishing this goal. It hit me this time that if there was ever a time in my life that I needed some miracles, it was right now!! I won't list off all the reasons why! :) Anyway, I had faith that regardless of what the miracles or blessings would be, my life could only improve and be happier if I accepted and accomplished this challenge. So it's been almost a week and a half and I've been keeping up to the schedule and last night, I realized that I've already witnessed my first miracle!! And it is HUGE. Huge. I've blogged many times about how bad of a sleeper Jacey is. Whether it's him being in our bed all night, or parts of the night. Or whether he's having periods of insomnia when he's WIDE AWAKE for 2-3 hours a night. Ever since just after Jaclyn was born, he has been a thorn in my side as far as sleeping goes (literally, he's glued to me in our bed) and especially now that I'm getting more pregnant and my back and hips are failing on me, getting good sleep is crucial. I can't even recall all the things we've tried to get him to sleep in his own bed. But there have been many!!! And sometimes we've been successful for a couple of nights here or there, but it always reverted back. And even the success we had, was minimal and recquired a lot of work. For example, he would go back to his bed, but after fighting us on it, then cry about it forever and we'd have to sit in his room for an hour, stuff like that. But this week, when I explained to him about the pain in my body and how sleeping alone was so important for me to be healthy and not hurt, he just got it. It clicked. It's been 4 days now, and he hasn't even woken up at night. I can't even remember a time when he hasn't woken up at night once. Even when he slept with us, he always woke up at least once. But he's been sleeping straight through and not sneaking into our bed once!! And in the mornings, he calls out to me to ask if it's morning and if he can get out of bed! I can't even believe that this is happening to us!!! I've been waiting for this day since he was about 17 months old!! And he's four now! Actually, the first night, he did wake up once. Jeffrey went into his room and Jacey was the one that told Jeffrey that he couldn't go to mommy's bed because her back hurt. And then he went back to sleep. That was when I knew he got it. He's never been rational about staying in his own bed at night before!!! Now I know many people will say that he's just old enough now to get it, or all this time and work has paid off, but I KNOW that this is a miracle!!! I know Jacey. And he is stubborn!! He doesn't just give in if it's something he really wants. And sleeping with me has always been what he wants the most! So the fact that he so easily gave it up and we haven't had to fight him on it, I know it's a miracle!! And I credit it directly to my obedience of the Bishop's BOM challenge. :) I'm happy!! If this was the only miracle that came out of reading the BOM in 85 days, I'd be so happy!! But the Bishop said miracles, and now I wonder what else is in store for me! :)


Looking back over the years through pictures...

I will admit, I loved snuggling him in bed and I will miss that sometimes. But I now cherish my own space. And I am WELL aware that I created my own problem by allowing him in my bed in the first place. :) I learned this lesson the hard way!
The end of an era.

8 comments:

Diane said...

I'm so happy for you Emily. You are a good mom and your Heavenly Father knows the desires of your heart. A very tender mercy. xo Sheryl Newton

Alysha Sladek said...

That's AWESOME!!! I agree, even if that was the only blessing it was all worth it!!

Ryan + Jess said...

Congratulations! I hope it lasts FOREVER! I'll admit, sleeping kids are so beautiful and peaceful...it is so easy to think it is a good idea to bring them into bed with you :) I'm glad you recorded this miracle so you will remember it always.

Love you guys!

Melinda Palmer said...

Awesome Em! I guessI should get reading!

Proud Momma said...

Those are cute pictures though...Tay is doing that now and I'm too tired to move her half the time, a king bed doesn't help either, or the fact that my husband sleeps in it only half the time!

Julie said...

Wahoo!!!

Jen said...

I have to first say I love your family picture at the top of your blog. You look absolutely stunning. And secondly I am so happy for you. What a relief to be done dealing with something that can be so overwhelming and frustrating. I love sleep and I hate when it is disrupted in any way. And Way to go Jacey for being so big about it.
Miss you guys and hope everything continues to go well.

Stephanie Salmon said...

Glad to hear JAcey is in his own bed. Mckinley sleeps in her crib but has been waking up to eat every night for forever. Two nights ago we decided enough was enough. So when she woke up screaming at 3, Brandon went in and sat in the rocking chair next to her crib and just talked to her for 20 minutes till she fell asleep again. Other than that, she slept 13 hours! Then last night she woke up again, I can't remember what time, and he went in there again (bless his heart) and she went 12 hours! Who knows if it will last, but we are loving it so far. Not that getting up to feed her was hard, she just eats in like 5 minutes and goes back to sleep, but it's a habit we know we need to break.

I read every word of your Hawaii post and it was fun to hear about your experience. I don't always have time to read everyone's blog but Mckinley is taking a long nap so I came back to your blog to read it, and I'm glad I did. Sounds like an awesome trip!