Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Thanksgiving Weekend

Hey all! We had such a great time down in Cardston for Thanksgiving this year! Last year both of our families were out of town, so we had our own pathetic meal, but this year I wasn't having that. So we traveled. I thought that we were going to miss the big meal again because after the first night down there, Jeffrey and I couldn't get the kids to sleep until 7:45 AM!! We all slept in the same room because there were so many of us down there, but that just created chaos. Jaclyn kept waking Jacey up, and then Jacey would wake Jaclyn up. And Jacey doesn't fall asleep unless he's alone, so he would just stand up in the playpen and see us, and continue to cry and scream. If we pulled him into bed with us, he either started playing, or he got angry because he was tired and he didn't like touching us, or having the blankets on, or whatever else he could find to be mad about. We probably slept in 10 minute intervals until the morning when finally we were all too tired to care about one another and zonked out for about 2 hours. We didn't want to do that again, so our plan was to leave just before naptime so the kids would sleep for the drive home. But, my family was so sad that we were going to leave, that everyone shuffled around sleeping arrangements so that Jacey could have his own room to sleep in. It was SOO kind of them, and I felt bad, but they all assured me they would rather have us stay. So that was awesome! They love us!! It made us feel pretty good! :) Dinner on sunday was delicious! We had it kind of late, because my dad was driving back from Calgary. But better late than never! I totally over ate, and it was wonderful!!!! Jacey went right to sleep that night, but woke up around midnight and cried for about 2 hours. My sisters made me stay strong and let him cry it out, so that he relearned to put himself back to sleep. We've done that before and he slept through the night fine, but sometime in the last 2 months, we've lost that routine. So it took a lot of will power not to go comfort him. My sister, Katie, even confiscated my baby monitor from me, so that if he cried again later, when we were all sleeping, I wouldn't hear it and want to go get him. I made her give it back, but I promised if I heard him, I wouldn't go. He did wake up and cry a while later again, but I let him be and he fell back asleep rather quickly. It was torture, and I felt bad, but in the morning, he was as happy as could be and didn't seem to be mad at me, like I thought he should be. Last night he slept the whole night without any waking up at all. So I guess it was worth it to get back on schedule. Even though it was hard!!! Anyway, we drove home yesterday just in time to have Bell come set up satellite for Michael and Melinda upstairs. It was fun to go away, but there's no place like home. I love my bed! Plus, I was excited to get back because I've been looking forward to this week for the past year and a half. I am finally going to get my kitchen!!!!!!!!!! Ikea is coming on Thursday to assemble and install the whole thing! I know that most of you think I'm crazy and don't know how you would have survived with only a fridge and a microwave. Oh and a toaster and a sandwich grill. But most of you cook and would have known exactly what you were missing! I still don't know how to cook and have a lot to learn. But I am SOO excited to start!!!! Plus, I am so sick of food that you can make in the microwave. I want an oven and a stove!!!!! And a kitchen sink to do dishes in! Anyway, I am ecstatic!!! I will definitely be posting pictures of the blessed event!!! I still won't believe it until I see it, but I think this is finally it! I'll keep you posted!! For now, here are some pics of our weekend!

6 comments:

Proud Momma said...

way to let him cry...I'm also a fan of crying it out...it fully works...kids need that discipline...they'll never hate you for it...you're teaching them how to sleep through the night! Good job!

Emily S said...

Wow I feel so sorry for all of you and your lack of sleep. That would be so hard! But it sounds like it was a good weekend despite that. It's so nice to have all of the family together! And wow Laila is such a pretty little baby.
By the way, I love Jacey in your sweater, that's priceless haha

Heather Palmer said...

Ok Jacey in your sweater is so cute!!! I always love it when I visit your blog and you've updated AND posted photos! Happy day!!

KandyJill said...

Those pictures are so cute! You guys sure have some dang cute kids! And I'm glad you've posted pictures of Laila too! She is such a beautiful little girl! Her and Jaclyn will be heart breakers someday!

Alysha Sladek said...

cute kids! sorry to hear about the rough nights, but it's all worth it to get back into a routine! liv did the same thing our first night in calgary... she was up the ENTIRE night and i had to drive to taber @ 8 the next morning. fun stuff! anyhow, it sounds like a fund weekend (despite the sleepless nights)
oh and i LOVE that pic of Jacey in your sweater

Suzanne Lee said...

I can only imagine how nice it must be to have Thanksgiving dinner out at your cabin. It is so pretty there. I love the pics, you have such cute and adorable little ones. Is that Laila laying bedise Jaclyn? If so shes grown so much!