Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Random Fact

So I was just wondering if it was just me, or does anyone else feel this way? Sometimes (actually, most times) when ambulances or police cars or firetrucks alarm their sirens and everyone has to pull over to the side to let them pass, I cry. Not because I'm thinking about the person they're rushing off to help, but because I feel some sort of weird kinship and connection to the other drivers I pulled over with. It gives me this strange, prideful feeling. In a good way. Like I'm proud to be a Calgarian with these other people who are respecting the rules together to make the way for our city servants to help those in need. I don't know, it's weird. But I can't help it! I get choked up. Tears come to my eyes. Almost every time. Am I alone in feeling this way?? Please tell me I'm not! :)

12 comments:

Jennie n Jeff said...

I get that way in a hockey game... all cheering for the same thing, the team coming together...

Sara said...

Ok. Not exactly tears. But I know what you mean. You all pull over and wait a minute as it passes and then get one with your way. I love it. and I hate it even more when people DON'T pull over.

Barb said...

I don't, but maybe it's just because I live in the states. Everyone pulls over because it's the law and then races to see who can pull out 1st behind the emergency vehicles. I hate it because I always get stuck and can't get back into the flow of traffic. I guess I'm just too nice or maybe it's just that I'm Canadian. But when I'm in Canada I feel happy when I see someone pull over to the side of the road for someone going faster than them. It gives me hope that there are still nice drivers out there. ;)

Katie H. said...

I don't cry, but I do feel that sense of pride. (The crying part might make you wierd ;-) )

Katie H. said...

P.S. I love Jennie's comment about getting choked up over hockey. Rob would love me so much more if I got choked up over hockey!

KandyJill said...

Hahaha your so funny emily! lol!

.Ang. said...

oh, Emily I love you!!

This post brought back so many memories of so many fun times and conversations in your car!

I LOVE YOU!!!

and I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU!!!

Emily S said...

Emily I'm sorry to say but it is just you. haha no, I'm sure there's other people that do that...maybe....
remember, you are pregnant :)

Elizabeth said...

hahaha....I remember having this exact converstaion with you on the way to a young womens activity. Now, everytime i pull over for police, ambulances, fire trucks I always think of you....haha! I'm dead serious!

Alysha Sladek said...

Can't say I ever have, but I'll be thinking of you every time I have to pull over now hahaha
I'd say it has to do with pregnancy hormones ;)

Dawn said...

I totally understand....because I cry too. Well, not at traffic pulling over. But when I go to the theatre, at everyone claps at the end when they come out for a bow, it's all I can to hold back the tears. I feel so proud of them for the good job they did...and think of how someone must be feeling so proud of them!

Oh, and if my kids are in a production I always cry! Drives them nuts :0)

Dad said...

I love you Emily. I do have those feelings as well. (although I haven't had tears but a swelling in my chest.) You are so sweet and tender.